- Use a camera phone and be discreet.
- Negotiate with the retail outlet and simply state this it is not possible but ensure to pick up something to prove your visit – a business card, magazine or flyer. Make sure that you identify the store to the left and right also.
- Identify yourself to security beforehand – this should be an absolute last resort.
- If there are security personnel present, DO NOT take any pictures.
- Use a small, digital camera without a flash and be as fast as possible. Pretend that you are trying to work something out on the camera and take the photo. Get out of the Centre as soon as possible and always take your photo AFTER the mystery shopping assignment has been done.
The absolute worst thing that ever happened to me was I got hit in the face by an irate passer by who got upset at their photograph being taken. I was taking a picture of a bookmakers. Once I recovered from the shock of the assault, I had to explain to the passer by what I was doing and I deleted the images in front of them. This is probably quite an extreme example of how not do do something but do be careful when taking pictures.